Travels- (Red previous trips, blue 2011)

Blue lines/markers are for the summer 2011 trip. Red is for past places I have visited in the past. Thanks for all the great tips on how to make this!
View Travel destinations in a larger map

Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 7 ¡Hola España!

Peña Cortada aqua duct, Chelva Spain

Part of ancient Roman aqua duct and Aunt Mona (not ancient)
Madrid
Madrid street
Plaza Mayor, Madrid

I tried posting something last night when I got here but I was feeling a little like a zombie so it did not go so well. :) My flight arrived in Madrid early yesterday morning so I spent the day touring the city and then caught a 4 hr bus to Valencia where my aunt lives. I have not been to Madrid since my study abroad in 2000 so the random memories sparked by different places I visited was kind of fun. I was carrying my backpack so I all I did was wander around and see the sights from the outside. Generally I won´t have to carry my pack all day like that because I should be able to check into a hostel in the morning. I probably walked 5 miles with it (and learned that Madrid is actually rather hilly)! I am also feeling my age a little as my whole body is aching today...

I had no plan when I got there but I visited the tourist office in the airport and got a map and subway routes and I was off! One of my favorite things is stepping out into a new city and trying to orient myself. It is challenging and exciting! But after about half an hour of walking around by myself I thought, "Uh-oh this is kind of boring. It might be a long summer!" Actually I have felt guilty and selfish many times for taking this trip so I am trying to find meaningful purposes to help myself feel better. So far I have 1)meet many new people and 2)eat ice cream/pastries in every place I visit. Both very important. (Keeping a blog has helped since it is a little way to share my travels with others). I have been to Spain a few times so it was kind of fun to try and see it through new eyes and think about what I would like to share. I enjoyed the beautiful buildings, the plazas and fountains, and wandering along the small cobblestone streets. I´m also intrigued by the hordes of mopeds, tight parking and narrow streets.

My Spanish is terrible! I understand a fair amount when I read but as soon as I try and speak everything gets jumbled up. In fact, yesterday I accidentally said, "No hablo Ingles" (I don´t speak English) to two different people! By mid-afternoon I was totally spent so I made my way to the bus station and slept like a hobo on the floor for a couple of hours. It is funny some of the things I do in foreign countries that I probably would not in my own!

Today we visited an ancient Roman aqua duct in the mountains a little outside of their town. It was great! The topography (I am patting myself on the back for this big word-hope I used it right) around here reminds me a little bit of Austin, kind of dry and hilly. However instead of oak trees the area is covered in olive and orange trees. (Oranges are a big export for Valencia- look for them next time you are in the grocery store)! Also to note- never try to eat a raw olive. I did make this mistake once in the past and the bitter fruit tasted nothing like what we get from jars!

Thank you all for reading and for your fun comments!

10 comments:

  1. I like what you've done with the blog. The map I put on is pretty big, but I liked that it was interactive. Spain looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures - how fun! And you're right, those are two VERY worthwhile goals. Love it! :) And I love that we get to experience your adventures with you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great on the picture with you and the building the back ground. Looks like you took it yourself. good job! :). Looks like you're having fun. Remember you weight goal as you eat the ice cream and pastries:). I'm glad you're meeting new people and experiencing being homeless. :) Looks like tons of fun!! And don't feel guilty even if your just walking the streets, its still awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m curious before I respond if those that have posted know if I add a comment... ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you're having a great time! Good pictures. Fun stories. I can't wait to read what happens next...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, it doesn't notify us of other comments on your posts. We just have to check back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun!!! I love that you enjoy the orientation in a new place--it's my least favorite part. I like the familiarity. And, while I'm not sure from a safety standpoint if it was wise, I can understand the need to lay it down :0) I can sleep anywhere! This is too great an experience to taint with guilt--ENJOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such an adventurer. I love the pictures, sounds like a fun stop. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of olive trees where I grew up. Common trick to play on visitors was to tell them how great fresh-off-the-tree olives are. If you're extra mean, you tell them 'oh, you must have gotten a bad one... here, try another'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how awesome! katherine I love reading your blog and hearing about your adventures. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete