
At the Grand Palace complex. Apparently my below knee length shorts were not modest enough so they gave me this lovely skirt to wear.

I am now in a beachside town down south. This is Megan, the Australian girl we met in India. She was planning on being in Thailand the same time as me so now we will travel together for a few days! Today we are heading to a place called Phi Phi Island for some snorkeling. :) This is an Italian Thai restaurant along the sea. We had pizza and yellow curry! (I am kind of hurrying now to get this posted because we leave in a couple of min)

Temple of the Emerald Buddha

(same)

Grand Palace where the King lives. The King is very important to the people of Thailand. My grandparents actually lived here for 7 years while my Grandpa was working for Exxon. He did a lot of volunteer work while here and we have a photo of him kneeling before the king receiving an award!

This is a wat (Buddist temple along the river). Bangkok has a great public transportation system. I was actually on a large river boat taxi heading down to the Grand Palace.

This was my cell, I mean my room in Bangkok. Though I think the wall was cardboard it had a fan and a decent shower downstairs. Plus it was only $5! Actually Thailand seem kind of expensive compared to where I have been. Still not bad though.

One of the great things about Thailand is the food. Italy was delicious but expensive, India was cheap but risky, Thailand is both delicious and cheap! They are famous for the street food. I am having a hard time pacing myself! My favorite are thye fruit smoothies, that cost about $1. This is a classic food cart. So many fun ideas of what I can do with my motorcycle...

Pad Thai, my favorite! $1.30 from a roadside stand. Delicious!

Fried bugs anyone? As much as I do love trying new things I draw the line here...

Making Pad Thai on the street
Thank you for saying no to the fried bugs! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat you didn't try fried bugs?? I love the skirt. you kinda look like a sister missionary.:)
ReplyDeleteVery, very cool Katherine. =) Safe travels!
ReplyDeleteI loved thailand when i went last year....loved it. phi phi island was a nice choice and we also had italian food. looks like you're still having fun. so exciting!!!
ReplyDeleteSo how soon can we expect to hear the announcement of the cuisine for your motorcycle food cart?? And that guy with the fried bugs had a lot on hand - perhaps they're not too popular with the locals either. Can't imagine why.
ReplyDelete