Travels- (Red previous trips, blue 2011)

Blue lines/markers are for the summer 2011 trip. Red is for past places I have visited in the past. Thanks for all the great tips on how to make this!
View Travel destinations in a larger map

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day 38- KL These boots are made for walking (well Chacos if we are being technical)

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. These are the Petronas Towers, the major landmark of KL. It is actually a very modern city with many skyscrapers. There are a number of interesting parts of town though and I walked most of it. I love walking for 3 reasons- it's cheap, I can see so much more and really get a feel for the city, and an opportunity to burn off all the food I am eating along the way. :)
Masjib Jamek mosque. Malaysia is actually an Islamic country (about 80% of the population). This has been fascinating to me and I tried to talk to as many people as possible to try and understand it how Islam works in Asia. From what I can tell it is not as strict as in the Middle East. The women still cover their heads but many dress in Western style clothes, and I only saw a few in the full covering. However a Muslim Malay can go to jail for even visiting a Christian church. So much for separation of church and state!
Darvin, a new friend I made on the bus down from Thailand. He was very kind and gave me a ride to Hilary's place. This may seem alarming to get in a car with a stranger but I feel pretty confident in my creep-dar as of late. Darvin posed no threat. He is Chinese Malaysian. About 10% of the population is of Chinese heritage and most are Buddhist. The other major group is the Hindu Indians. Malaysia is quite a mix of ethnic groups! I was actually very impressed with how many kind people I came across as I toured the city.
A new type of pancake! This one had sugar, crushed peanuts and creamed corn of all things. He folded it over like an omelet and it was delicious. I have decided I have a serious addiction to buying street food. I may need some friends on hand when I get home to help me through the withdrawals.
Ha ha. I was excited about the nice Western toilet in the airport but apparently the person before me was not. Those are definitely shoe prints... they used it as a squatter. Ha ha ha!
Ian, Grandma and Andrew
When I began brainstorming ideas for summer vacation I knew I wanted to visit my family in Spain, but also my friend Hilary (from Houston) who is living with her husband and kids in Malaysia. Since I was flying over so many countries anyway it seemed like the logical idea to stop and check them out as well (duh). Hence the birth of the around the world trip.

Hilary, baby Ryan and I. He was just born on July 20... so cute!
I admit that I had a kind of skewed impression of Malaysia. Ian works for a good company that has provided them with a great apartment and personal driver. Malaysia is not as poor as the other countries I have visited recently, but they are definitely living above average. It was really nice to have such a comfortable place to stay. (Not that shared bathrooms down the hall and rock hard beds are all that bad).
Chow Kit Market. I had intentions of catching a bus out of town to the Batu Caves but the traffic was so bad that I changed my plan. Instead I found this great fruit/vegetable/fish/meat/other random things I couldn't identify market. Very fun!
So colorful!
Yes, those are cow legs, and raw chickens. I think there were veggies the next stall over. So much for being worried about salmonella! (Oh and just FYI I left out of the photo of the full cow heads just to the left)
Sri Mahamariamman Temple. (Hindu)
A group of Muslim boys. This is not typical dress for most people but Hilary says it is probably a school uniform.
Sweet coconut drink. I had walked a LONG way and would have taken anything cold! I have definitely become more lax on what I buy on the street and just hope that it sits ok with the stomach. So far so good. :)
Hibiscus Garden at the Lake Gardens Park. It was a beautiful park (and Hibiscus is the national flower).
Orchid Garden at the same park
Malaysian flag with two of the major city landmarks in the background (Petronas Towers and KL Tower)

Just got back to Bangkok and I will fly to Hawaii early in the morning. Sleeping in airport tonight. (Well at least I hope to sleep)! If have time I will get out and explore Honolulu a little before catching a flight to Maui to meet up with friends. Can't believe I am in my last few hours of international travel. I'm definitely going to get in at least one more Pad Thai and fruit smoothie before I go.

Many people have suggested that I am on my own Eat, Pray, Love tour. Well if so I must admit I am highly disappointed. I certainly have the eating and praying down but I want to know where this loving part is! I feel so ripped off. ;)

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Maybe it's because your "love" portion is waiting to greet you at the end of your journey.

    I can't believe it's almost over!! It has been so fun to read all about your overseas adventures! Certainly you've made memories to last a lifetime and beyond! Thanks for taking us along on this journey, as well!

    I'm looking forward to hearing about Hawaii, too. I've never been so you'll have to enjoy it for me this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for keeping this blog (and leaving out the cow-heads :0) I have enjoyed cyber-vicarious travel! You certainly have gotten every seconds worth of experience...again, literally the coolest person I know in real life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pancakes sound interesting, but I bet they're delicious. Loved the market pictures and thank you for sparing us the cow heads! Megan's in the Honolulu area if you end up having a long layover. Let me know if you need her number!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved how you took a picture of the toilet! haha! Can't believe you are coming back to the states! :) I will definitely experiment with food with you!!! I'm already planning the party! You can make lots of international food and I'll invite all the peoples:). Loved the picture of the boy, his face is so cute. And I feel like I studied that building in humanities or something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. KT - you made it. and i've loved hearing about it. Thanks for sharing.....and glad you found hilary and ian and their 2 cute boys. Enjoy Hawaii and don't have too much culture shock coming back to america!

    ReplyDelete