On the way up to the village I took a public bus. The road was 1 lane, and 2 way. Scary! As we climbed and went around blind corners the driver did not slow down, he just honked his horn to let oncoming cars know we were coming. If we encountered someone one of us would back up until enough room could be made to pass. The Nepali people did not seem phased by this but I was terrified! The driver seemed to be humored by this spastic white girl doing deep breathing exercises with closed around every turn.
I feel it is a shame to have only spent 3 days here but it is certainly better than nothing. I would love to get out and explore more of the beautiful parts of the country. This afternoon I head to Thailand where my goal is to swing in a hammock and do a lot of snorkeling! I will then work my way down the coast and end up in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to visit my friend Hilary.
Extra thoughts...
This may get a lengthy (hey I am just warning you in case you want to stop now). After my last India post I was kind of bothered because I really did not feel I did it justice. I loved India, but it was very intense. From what I saw it was the poorest country I have ever visited. Quite humbling really. One morning on our way to the train station I was lamenting a poor nights sleep when we literally drove past hundreds of people sleeping on the streets within a matter of maybe 15 minutes. I also thought about my backpack and handful of outfits that have been well used. I would venture to guess that these 5 t-shirts I brought with me might be more than many Indians own in total. And they don't have the luxury of a washer and dryer like I do. It was very hard for me to really understand what the 'standard' is for an average Indian person but from what I saw an average person there would be considered rather poor in America. It was a whole new level of poverty from what we know. What impressed me was their adaptability. They live in these awful circumstances but they make the most of it. They work hard doing whatever dirty work is necessary to survive. Also kind of shocking were the people with severe disabilities and how they got by. Once as we were waiting to get on the train a man with deformed legs literally crawled off in front of us dragging his legs behind him. Of course there were many beggars as well, tiny children to the very old. As we walked down the street we were assaulted with a variety of smells, frequently that of human waste since facilities are sparse and homelessness common. It certainly helped me to be more grateful for what i have. In fact I think I might feel ashamed for some of those people to see how I live with my comfortable house and nice truck. I don't think I necessarily work harder than they do, for some reason I was just born into different circumstances with more opportunity. For that I am indeed grateful.
Something else I found interesting is the idea of arranged marriage (in Qatar, India and Nepal). I have had multiple people ask me if I was married and when I say no they assume it is because I don't want to be. (Which is not true for any of you that may be wondering)! They are not afraid to very directly ask why so I tell them that I just haven't found someone that I love enough to marry. This is foolish thinking to many. I was talking to one man about his marriage. When he was ready he put an ad in the paper that said he was looking for a wife. A woman responded and it seemed like a decent match so they got married! He told me "it is not nearly as important to marry who you love as it is to love who you marry." I can respect that thought but still it is such a foreign concept in our society. Granted the divorce rates here are much lower but I also wonder if the people are truly happy. Certainly something to think about.
I love you!! THis is AMAZING! Im so jealous you got to go!!!
ReplyDeleteI cant wait for you too come home!
It is so beautiful there! I love the greenery and especially all the good thoughts that have come to you on this trip. I am not in the least surprised about your reactions to the bus. It reminds me of something . . .
ReplyDeleteLoved this post. Looks like you are still enjoying your travels!!!
ReplyDeleteThey should set you up!! :) and dogs are a good "special someone". :). oh.. I miss you. Loved your thoughts!!! Got me thinking.
ReplyDelete