Travels- (Red previous trips, blue 2011)

Blue lines/markers are for the summer 2011 trip. Red is for past places I have visited in the past. Thanks for all the great tips on how to make this!
View Travel destinations in a larger map

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 20 (India)- God loves me!

As many of you know I was pretty nervous about traveling in India alone. I decided to use an online network called www.couchsurfing.org where people will offer a bed or room to passing travelers. It is a good network because it is free, you have an opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture, and you are able to read reviews from other travelers. I found a wonderful woman named Sonu in Delhi (she works to help local women and is building a school for children who are not currently being educated) that agreed to host me and I felt very relieved being able to visit her home. When I arrived she was so kind and had her cousin show me to my room in a nearby flat. She told me there were a 2 other American girls staying with her as well. The next morning I met these girls and was shocked to find out that they attend BYU and are also members of my church! Since I had been praying that the Lord would guide me to someone I could travel with I took it as a very clear answer to my prayers! Funny thing is they are stopping in many of the same places as me, just going around the world heading west instead. I liked them instantly and they invited me to join them on their travels around India. Today we visited the Taj Mahal. (And BTW thanks to any of you that have been praying for me as well. Someone is definitely listening!) :)

Taj Mahal in Agra, India (my new friends Camille and Jaimie)
This was our view of the Taj from the balcony restaurant where we ate for dinner!
Street in Agra (note the random cow)
Jama Masjid mosque, Delhi

Street near Sonu's house. These are cycle rickshaws (local taxis)
Sonu in her house. She lives there with her father in law, husband and son.
The room where I stayed with another Indian girl that Sonu is helping.
Our bathroom. Anyone have any guesses on how to take a shower?!?! I am still learning how bathrooms works here but here are the basics... this is a squat toilet. You squat over it (big surprise) to do your business and then use water from that bucket to clean yourself and then pour down hole to "flush". For a shower I also stood over the toilet and poured water from the bucket over myself. Very interesting experience! I am still a little nervous about the whole process but it is getting a little better. :)

6 comments:

  1. What a blessing!! I'm glad you have someone to travel around India with...I just kinda wish it was me and Alona!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kath that first picture is awesome. i bet everyone around you was like.."crazy american!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah for blessings!!!! man, india looks awesome. and i love the bathroom. have so much fun. i wish i was traveling with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! I agree with Susannah, though! I'm glad to hear my prayers are being answered! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is AMAZING that everything is so perfect (minus the lack of plumbing-chalk it up to experience)...what a marvelous adventure!!

    ReplyDelete